Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cheese Crackers


I'm always looking for healthy snack ideas for my kids. They are addicted to Cheese-its (which I HATE) so I've been looking for a good recipe for homemade cheese crackers WITHOUT all the sodium, sugar, & preservatives. The THRIVE Cookbook had a recipe for Cheese Crackers in it so I thought I'd try it out. It was good, but my taste buds craved a little more flavor, so I took their recipe & tweaked it to my liking. So here is MY version of cheese crackers;
I hope you like it!

1/2 teaspoon THRIVE Iodized Salt
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (to add just a little kick of flavor)
1/4 cup THRIVE (FD) Cheddar Cheese, prepared
3 tablespoons THRIVE Butter Powder, prepared
water (a little less than 1/2 cup)

#1: Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne pepper, & cheese blend.

#2: Prepare the cheddar cheese by mixing the FD cheese with a little water & soak for 10 minutes. Drain & pat dry. (It's alright to leave it a little squishy for this recipe).

#3: Prepare the butter by mixing the butter powder with little bits of water until you reach the consistency of fresh butter. (you want 3 tablespoons prepared).

#4: Add the cheese & butter to the sifted dry ingredients & mix until the batter is crumbly.

#5: Add water one tablespoon at a time until a ball of dough forms. Roll dough on a floured piece of parchment paper until 1/8 inch thick. Flip the rolled dough & PARCHMENT paper onto a greased cookie sheet. Remove the Parchment paper & you have your perfectly rolled dough on your pan.

#6: Cut with a pizza cutter into little squares. My kids made triangles, squares, hearts, etc. My oldest even put some SpongeBob faces on some of her squares. Poke a hold with a toothpick in each piece (to make it look like a cheese-it), & sprinkle with a little salt.


#7: Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Cook less for cookie like crackers & longer for crispy crackers. It's up to you & what your family likes. ENJOY!

I promise your kids will eat them right up & THEY ARE HEALTHY!!!! Hooray for healthy recipes!




If you would like to order any of the ingredients listed in this recipe, comment below or visit my website:

1 comment: