Friday, July 29, 2011

Whole Wheat Tortillas


We eat a LOT of Mexican food in our house, so I'm always looking for a new fun recipe for SOMETHING! The other night I was making one of my MANY enchilada recipes & I pulled the tortillas out of the fridge & they were GREEN. I about DIED. They weren't even a week old either. I looked at the package & realized how many terrible ingredients are in store bought tortillas. It's disgusting! I don't even know what half of that stuff is. Well, I had everything else made for the enchilada's so I had to think of
SOMETHING FAST.

I remembered seeing a tortilla recipe in the THRIVE cookbook so I whipped it out & went to work. I added a little more salt than they called for to flavor it a bit more, but overall, it was a good recipe. I have never made tortillas before so don't mind my "mess" in the pictures & the "blob-like shape" of my tortillas. My kids thought they were funny. Next time I'll definitely use a plate as a stencil to make them round before I cook them. ha ha ha.

Whole Wheat Tortillas:

1/4 cup THRIVE Shortening prepared (1 cup shortening powder + 1/4 cup water)
1 1/2 teaspoons THRIVE Iodized Salt
1 1/8 cup BOILING Water

Sift together the flours & salt.


Add the prepared shortening & mix until the mixture is nice & crumbly.


Make a well in the center of the mixture & then pour the boiling hot water into the well. Mix with a fork (be careful NOT to burn yourself) until all the water is mixed into the batter. The dough should be soft & NOT STICKY.


If your dough is too flaky, add more water a spoonful at a time until the dough comes together. I had to add about 2 spoonfuls of water to my dough before it all came together.


Sprinkle with a little flour so it doesn't stick to your hands & knead the dough until it doesn't stick to your fingers. It took me about 5 minutes of kneading, but you'll feel a difference. Make balls the size of golf balls (for salad plate sized tortillas, bigger if you want burrito sized) & place them on a cookie sheet. Cover the dough with a cloth & let sit for an HOUR.


Head a griddle or frying pan over high heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a tortilla as thinly as you prefer. I like mine pretty thin. However, I will say they're a lot more bendable (& don't break as easily) if you leave them a little on the thicker side. Also, if you want a ROUND tortilla, use a plate as a stencil & cut the outside edges to form a circle, otherwise you get a big BLOB TORTILLA like mine. ha ha ha. Cook on each side for about 30 seconds. They will brown nicely on each side just like a store bought tortilla.


I made about 13 tortillas with this recipe which was perfect for my enchilada. Plus we had a few left over for dessert.

I think next time I might get adventurous & try adding either a little spinach to my mixture to make spinach tortillas, or maybe some of the tomato powder to make tomato tortillas. We'll see.


One of my favorite things from my childhood was homemade tortillas, warmed with butter & honey.
Simple, easy, fun, & not TOO sugary.
My kids LOVE them.


If you would like to purchase any of the ingredients used in this recipe, comment below or visit my website:

No comments:

Post a Comment